You Lie!

by Jason Peters on September 9, 2009 · 30 comments <span>Print this article</span> Print this article

Frank Rich asks a reasonable question: what does Joe Wilson, “that South Carolina clown,” call the Republican governor of his own state?

But if Mr. Wilson wants less prevarication in all this talk of health care reform, he should insist that we take a serious look at how the Fed thinks we should be fed. The farm bill is killing us and the land.

I know, I know: disease and obesity are good for the GDP. The last thing we want to do is listen to a few voices crying in the wilderness, who seem to think there’s a relationship between health and eating, and between eating and farming.

avatar Bob Cheeks September 13, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I thought Charlie Wilson’s clarion call in the august chambers of the House of Representatives, e.g. “You lie,” a rather delightful moment in the annals of presidential speeches therein given.
Indeed, our Marxist president is just that, a liar, and for the obstreperous Mr. Wilson of the great state of South Carolina, to loudly and publicly denounce the brash obloquies of our first Kenyan president, was singularly refreshing and, I hope, the start of a tradition.
For the record, our visionary president said that the Democrat sponsored legislation related to “health care” did not carry a provision calling for “health care” expenditures for illegals. However, as the beloved Charlie Wilson knew it did, ergo “You lie!”
Charlie Wilson’s objurgation of the president’s calumnies and distortions should have called for a rather large ‘thank you’ from the American people not a vicious attack from the academic side of the Front Porch Republic.
And, what Charlie Wilson’s heroic challenge of our Commie president has to do with saving the soil, just now eludes me?

avatar D.W. Sabin September 14, 2009 at 10:20 am

Now Cheeks, it eludes you because that War on Nuance Siege Helmet of yours sometimes slips down over your ears, restricting your tangential thinking. Me? I prefer to fixate upon nuance , allowing the clarified to sneak up on my rear and clock me from behind.

If Mr. Wilsons outburst…no matter the level of verity……is to be commended, perhaps we can bring back canings into the Well of Congress…that worked swimmingly…. or better yet, simply dispense with the formality of it all, not interrupt the Congressional Delegation’s need to fund raise and the Executive’s to loftily prevaricate and simply post a scoreboard listing of lies on all sides with, of course, the Lies having it. Perhaps the National Debt Clock can have races with the National Lie Clock.

Seems we have been enjoying a spate of ill-mannered outbursts all around of late, from the Capitol, to the U.S. Tennis Open and the ijit MTV awards…not to mention the current “mobs”. Not that we should all “get along” but neither should we resort to clubbing one another with a large Ox Shank either. Somewhere I heard it asserted as a matter of the feminization of the culture. Hardly, its the juvenilization of the culture at work.

I believe what Peters is suggesting in his brief bit on the President’s Health Care Plan speech is that while these apparatchiks discuss health care, it is, as usual in FIAT Nation, restricted to the financial-securitized aspects of health care and not on what we farm and eat….a more important consideration by far.

As to Frank Rich, not much comment aside from his entertainment value as a member of the entertainment-punditocracy “working the anger centers of the brain” as Kunstler sez.

avatar Russell Arben Fox September 14, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Oh good grief, Bob.

1. The representative’s name isn’t Charlie Wilson, it’s Joe.

2. President Obama isn’t a Marxist and/or a Commie. He’s a progressive liberal. Making the two equivalent gives both a bad name.

3. President Obama isn’t Kenyan, he’s a citizen of the United States of America. I somehow really doubt that even you believe that, and are just saying it to rile me up.

4. For the record, the only sense in which one can possibly turn Representative Wilson’s accusation into a true statement is to state that any bill passed by Congress which doesn’t specifically overturn President Reagan’s 1986 Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, which mandates that all visitors to emergency rooms always received treatment, regardless of citizenship, is therefore “health care expenditures for illegals.” Under that understanding, absolutely, Wilson’s outburst was correct: the proposed Democratic plan does not include specific provisions and funding beyond already existing laws to stop illegal aliens from using emergency rooms or using fake IDs to obtain insurance, and so, therefore, must actually be subsidizing health care for illegals. I will be interested to see if any of our elected officials decide to give such lunatic reasoning an official public try out.

avatar Bob Cheeks September 14, 2009 at 2:18 pm

D.W. and Arben,
Well I see you fellows spent the holiday weekend at the Peters’ home eating barbecue and drinking beer! Circling the wagons are we? I think the Rev Peters can load and fire his own gun and I’m looking forward to a sassy retort from the land of Lincoln any minute!
Arben, thanks for the correction; Charlie Wilson is my commie congressman! And, until the Big O comes up with a legitimate U.S. birth certificate I shall continue to refer to him as “our first Kenyan president.” Should he come up with a birth certificate I’ll refer to him as our first Indonesian president. I am sorry to see it upsets you!
Arben, thanks for this: “Wilson’s outburst was correct:”, much appreciated and welcome to the right wing!
D.W., dude, you my man are growing more and more sensitive! Where’s that smart-assed retort, the cutting comment, the glib insult? What’re you smoking, Honduran honey or Acapulco Gold?
BTW, I’m running for congress and I’ll need you guys as advisers…we’ll have a great time!
You know i don’t remember Peters whining about the commie-Dems calling Bush II a “liar” or “Hitler” and leveling other insults?

avatar mark September 14, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Bob –

I spent part of Sunday afternoon drinking beer with Jason and I can confirm that neither D.W. Sabin nor Russell Arben Fox were present. I can’t absolutely rule out the possibility that they were here on Saturday…

It’s amusing to read your comments. (I sometimes like to listen to Rush Limbaugh and watch a little FOX News, too. It’s cheaper than going to the movies but nearly as entertaining.) Keep ‘em coming!

MH

avatar Bob Cheeks September 14, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Mark,

I trust you went to church in the morning and didn’t let Peters get you inebriated and say silly things? And, thanks for letting me know my palsies weren’t in Illinois; I thought for sure they were. They were probably there Saturday..laughing and carousing all day on cheap wine!
Re: brother Limbo, my politics is more along the lines of the late and beloved Tertium Quids. My best….

avatar Shirley Gibbons September 14, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Our president was born in Hawaii (which is a recognized state of the Union), in case you fellows aren’t aware of it), of mixed parentage which we used to call “hapa-haole” not African American. Translation: hapa: half; haole: outsider, foreigner, (read) white or Anglo. Since the riled up Represenative who shouted out at that session was from the South, I am afraid some racism is coloring his thinking. (Sorry about that pun.) I haven’t lived in Hawaii for some years now, so the term hapa-haole is probably politically incorrect these prickly days.
Someday perhaps, we can refer to a all of our people as Americans, without the descriptive lineage.

avatar mark September 14, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Shirley –

Birthers are not interested in our truth or reality. They don’t need or want your calm, reasonable explanations. They are convinced they are right — any evidence that controverts their opinion is dismissed as a forgery or propaganda. They are convinced that we’re living in Oceania and that Minitrue is working overtime to conceal Barack Obama’s real past. They believe that Obama has a secret agenda to take over the country from within and turn it into — and this is where things get a little fuzzy for me — someplace like Nazi Germany. For a good view into the minds of the Birther set, see this: Lifestyles of the White and Suggestable.

MH

avatar mark September 14, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Bob –

I did go to church in the morning. And as to whether Peters could get me inebriated — that is virtually impossible. I could outdrink him any day of the year. Most likely he would be whistling Dixie before I even had a slight buzz. (Years of training and a 100 pound advantage are on my side.)

MH

PS – I also enjoy Glenn Beck when I need a real laugh. That guy is hilarious. Do you follow him, too?

avatar Bob Cheeks September 15, 2009 at 4:39 am

Mark,

I do enjoy all the ‘right wing’ wacko stuff. Truly talk radio saved the nation from one party status and for that I’m grateful. With the exception of the delightful Mr. Beck and Doc Savage the rest are rather mainstream, neocon GOP hacks, albiet, a source of info in terms of the resistance to the current Marxist regime. I do appreciate ‘talk radio’ as a source of info in an age dominated by Leftist-statist propaganda.
Our Enlighted Leader, a courageous and fearless community organizer, is of course a Marxist and has always existed as a parasite on the ass of gummint and any casual reading of his past, including his own work, reveals that. To his credit, he doesn’t hide the fact.
I’m an anti-statist, anti-communist and consequently opposed to all the statist legislation of the Left and constantly at the barricades fighting these cretins.
….and, yes, He-Who-Lives-For-Us has but one purpose, to crush the final symbols of the olde republic and give birth to the new People’s State.
I do apologize for equivocating.

avatar D.W. Sabin September 15, 2009 at 9:07 am

Cheeks, I’m trying to defend you (not that I don’t think you are fine on your own) and your Terrier ways over at another older stream on Mobs under the sign of the Joe Hill Woodcut but you make it difficult with your dogged “birther” routine and the Marxist assertion. How many times do I have to say this : A Marxist Cabal would not be trilling a happy tune along with this trickle-down bail-out of Goldman Sachs Nation. Rahm Emmanuel and the boys…and girls… made too much easy money n the Securitized Bunko of the day and so embarking upon a Marxist path would likely be the very last thing you would ever see these boys do. Nah, they’re just good old fashioned Tom Friedman-David Brooks Globalistas, working the same old bait and switch that got us into the current mess but doing it with sweetly smiling sentiments rather than the “take it or leave it ” sentiment of the two prior inept occupants of the less than virginal White House. I have many disagreements and dis-sastisfactions with this current President and the Birther and Marxist and Nazi Moonshine is a distraction from grabbing this flummoxed GOP by the ears and smacking some real sense into it so that perhaps there is someone out there agitating for chaste restraint without being presumed utterly mad. The rabid and flea-bitten GOP may just need to be taken out back and shot but for lack of anything else on hand, at least we can turn the dog loose inside the tin moonshiner’s hut at Foggy Bottom and he’ll manage to keep biting the democrats inside and we’ll at least have some fun until the water starts creeping over the gunwales as the ship goes down.

You go ahead and keep fighting the communists and birth certificate forgers Bob….you know, those capitalist communists in China who are laughing their asses off as they beat us at our own game because the old Albert J. Nock Remnant wing of the Republican party died in the 50′s and was replaced by some zombie dixiecrat force concocted by Nixon….a perennially paranoid force that seems to like offering its sons and daughters up to sacrifice on the whims of a planter oligarchy whose essential aim is their liberty and their liberty alone….where liberty is interchangeable with lucre.

Shirley, thanks for the linguistics seminar and the “hapa-haole” definition…and here I always thought they were calling the outlanders “Arseholes”

avatar Bob Cheeks September 15, 2009 at 10:02 am

D.W. thanks, as always, for your input!
Re: our Kenyan Commie president, allow me my fun, pleazzzzzzzzzzzze!
I could care less where the dude was born, but he is a Marxist…the capitalist business you accurately refer is but a means to an end…he is true to his mother and father’s beliefs, he is a fanatic and a racist. Frankly, I think he may have overplayed his hand and thus we have this ‘mob’ backlash. How far that will play out remains to be seen.
The GOP is probably finished as a viable party. Too many conservatives are fed up with the neocon bs and will vote third party, which may mean eight years of Core and Black Panther corruption, expanding welfare programs, and the continuing collapse of society/culture.
Unlike Prof. Wilson I don’t see a revolution but it’s possible if His Holiness mucks up the food supply or prices go through the ceiling and then the question is, will the solders fire on their own?
However, it’s all finished if the commie-Dems nationalize ‘health care.’ If he’s stopped there there may be a chance at recovery but the American people are not the sharpest knives in the drawer and we’re turning into a bunch of whining Democrats, looking for a way to get on welfare.

avatar D.W. Sabin September 15, 2009 at 11:01 am

But you see Cheeks, We can all have a good laugh but it’s way beyond fun…as you say…. because this Nazi-Commie-Black Nationalist doggerel is what passes as the “sober” plank of the drunken sot GOP. The GOP has become a caricature of something that deserves a good pistol-whipping . We now have both sides of the aisle trying to see who can sink lower into the mire of debt, imperial over-stretch and fruitless focus group Statism. Somebody cut the brake lines and we’re in fer a rill fun ride. Your so called “fun” is the image of the opposition party and I just learned that the GOP opponent who is likely going to go up against Dodd is the moneyed head of the World Wrestling Federation….how fun.

I’m sick of fun in politics, the entire thing is a farrago and my normally resilient sense of humor…in this category….. is worn out by the un-inspired schoolboy “fun”. The lapsed republic is being mugged in broad daylight and we are supposed to laugh as some nutty host does a stand-up routine on the sidewalk next to the scene of the crime. Ha Ha hee hee, aint that funny, pile on more debt, complicate more things, hee hee, aint that funny.

The Adult Party peed its pants a long time ago skippy and it is looking to leave a load in them now.

avatar Hudson September 15, 2009 at 11:52 am

Joe Wilson might have thrown his shoe instead. If he were as accurate a shoe thrower as the Iraqi journalist, we might have learned how well Prez Obama can duck in public vs. George Bush.

avatar Bob Cheeks September 15, 2009 at 12:00 pm

I don’t see the GOP making a comeback nor as a viable political entity, so you can bitch and moan about them all you want and it means absolutely nothing; besides we’ve already agreed with you. They just don’t know they’re dead yet. As you’ve pointed out, countless times, their actions, their violations of federal principles, have fouled the water. So, it looks to me that it’ll require the rise of a third party which, as I mentioned, will probably mean two terms for your fellow-traveler pal and an America you and I ain’t goin’ to recognize.
Frankly, I did my best to warn friends and family about the Community Organizer and his Marxist inclinations, to his credit he was rather straight forward about it; I even suggested that it might be better not to vote if he were your only consideration. Alas, my comments there, as here, fell on deaf ears!
I am pleased you are concerned about “the lapsed republic” and your choice of words (republic) indicates there is hope out there.
So, my old palsy, my butt’s been stationed at the barricades for quite a while and now and then I fire off a round or two. But, damnit man we might as well laugh about it all as whine about it, sounding like a commie-Dem! And, then there’s the question of mocking your enemies!
Frankly, the whole thing’s an eschatological question; it’s all about Jesus and you can work with that any way you want.

avatar D.W. Sabin September 15, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Cheeks,
I think you are confusing Marxism with Crony Capitalism, both are power plays and both have their own proletariat who are cowed by a combination of propaganda, circumscribed options and ruthless power. Both also are very good at creating external diversions to keep the bamboozled occupied. Happily, both are self-destructive but sadly, both create a lot of victims until they self-destruct. Obama practices the feel-good version of crony capitalism while Bush practiced the “Boo! ” version. Both are essentially Bait and Switch routines.

But, back to the original issue of the Ag Policy and Health….. the longstanding AG Policy of the U.S.A. is another part of the ongoing Crony Capitalism Regimes and the Great Leap Forward of it happened under Earl Butz and his crusading for King Corn. He told American Farmers to “Get Big or Get Out”. He was also a talented hand at joking around but when his jokes embarrassed the Board of Crony Review, they quickly threw him over-board but kept up his “good works”. Had he understood anything about biofuels, we can assume he would have modified his original mantra by re-stating it as “Get Huge or Get Out…better yet, just get out and leave it to us Conglomerates”. Mouth or tank….mouth or tank? so little soil, so much money to be made.

avatar Bob Cheeks September 15, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Allow me to tip the hat at your elegant loquaciousness…most entertaining!
There’s no similarity between market capitalism and the Marxist-Hegelian dialectic, and you know that! Crony capitalism is a redundancy; our fellows of exchange usually become friends or friendly now don’t they?
Your continued use of the old, tired shibboleth’s is way below your intellectual abilities…you’re better than that!
While we can defeat international capitalism, should it infringe on our existential peace and prosperity, it is much more challenging to defeat the central gummint should they target us…and they have, just check your tax schedules, not to mention those that will be coming.
I do sense your frustration, indeed, share it.
So, you’re a ‘contributor’ here, dammit blog on a political ‘recovery;’ how, when, where! Open yourself to criticism; take a chance!
But let me say this; bitchin’ about Earl Butz ain’t gonna get it…that’s the past and we better be aware that there’s a man who wants to control everybody’s ‘health care.’ And, how sick is that? So, even before we ‘recover,’ we better damn well beat this clown!

avatar D.W. Sabin September 15, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Cheeks,
Crony Capitalism is indeed a redundancy…a small claque of redundancy, feathering one another’s nest repeatedly and doing their utmost to mortgage the last drop of efficacy out of any program, thus putting the bung in Aufhebung.

“Defeating international capitalism” aint my specialty.

I long ago abandoned any hope of avoiding criticism upon entering this here briar patch but the reason I re-directed into Earl Butz is because the past has a way of depicting the future and this here stream, whether you like it or not started with agricultural policy and its impact upon the health of the citizen, a far simpler dialectic than was pummeled by us knuckleheads for the majority of this thread…..and I do mean “Us” as in “we”…you and I.

As to relevering, pardon my deconstruction but I’ve decided to avoid it and just stick to “delete”. Recovery aint possible until the symptoms coalesce into a cause and right now, the theme of the day is the creation of more symptoms, the more outlandish and colorful the better and don’t talk to me about the causes because we all seem to enjoy the wasting disease so much. It is scenic and fits the atmosphere of pathos like a glove.

Somewhere in the dim recesses of the past, our forebears must have inhabited the same cave because damned if I don’t sucker to your bear-baiting too easily.

avatar Bob Cheeks September 15, 2009 at 3:24 pm

D.W.,

“Knuckleheads!” so whas da problem? Been called worse, worst, worster!

Oops, forgot what the original blog was about! Is it me or do we sometimes ignore the original blog? I know you never would do that.

I do notice you’re getting a bit tense about ‘current affairs.’ So lighten up, relax, you can’t fix it all. Why don’t you run for township gummint, or school board, or city council..whatever’s appropriate and save your little corner of Conn.

Re: our ancestors, my guess is that my people were chucking spears at one another when yours were talking philosophy? And, I was thinking you don’t bait as quick and as long as you used to.

BTW, would you take Smitty under your wing and spend some time with him? I think he likes you (you are a nice fellow) and he needs to spend some time with adults.

avatar RA September 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Mr. Cheeks,

Your posts have become more and more radical as I read this site. You constantly create these straw-men arguments coupled with right-wing propoganda.

This site once was a home for moderation, and is becoming a site full of radical ideas.

avatar Jeremy Beer September 15, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Gosh, RA, maybe Cheeks is dead wrong in everything he says, and maybe he isn’t, but I can say with certainty that FPR was *never* intended to be a “home for moderation.” Now, if by what you really mean by that turn of phrase is “intelligence” or “rational discussion” or “independent, nonpartisan views,” then amen.

avatar Bob Cheeks September 16, 2009 at 4:34 am

RA, dude, “…radical ideas!” OMG, I didn’t mean to offend!
Seriously, thank you for reading my comments and I agree with you, considering the usual fare, my ideas are, indeed, radical! But they are old “radical.” They are the stuff of the founding and if you’d care to improve you own political position you might want to study on what I’ve said, although it’s been said before.
If what I say offends your tender sensibilities I’d advise that you skip over my comments or petition the site leadership to disallow my comments.

avatar Bob Cheeks September 16, 2009 at 5:27 am

Russel Arben Fox, are you out there?
Recently I’ve been hearing and reading critiques by both black and white liberals/Democrats that those members of the ‘mob’ and those who critique our beloved president are ‘racists’ for so doing!
I find this a fascinating theme. As a librul, I was wondering if you might blog on this phenomenon which I’m pretty sure is going to fester into a rather interesting political tempest shortly!
I’m looking for the intellectual ‘librul’ position on this.

avatar D.W. Sabin September 16, 2009 at 8:56 am

Every once in a while, I make a stab at playwriting and the first effort is entitled “The Boys in the Bar” and it surrounds a select group of the Framers…ie partisans in their own day….finding themselves in a dive bar on a foggy night, somewhere in a less than gentrified contemporary Philadelphia neighborhood. Watching the television….after discussing what the device itself might portend, The Framers then embark on an astonished review of the weird brew they cooked up for us modern mortals to abuse. Given I have not got the foggiest idea what playwriting is, the job aint done and likely never will be. But, Radicalism is one of the more malleable terms out there and Cheeks is Not always wrong…sometimes he compliments or agrees with me, thus making him right…at least at that particular and fleeting moment.

That his abraded and blunt Scotch Irish knuckles might drag over piles of flint shards is a matter for another day. Fox, if you bite into this “racist” routine, you will deserve what you git. But , by all means,have at the theater, it’ll flush out some radicalisms to be sure.

Moderation is for food, drink, sex and smoke. In politics, it is what we have today, immoderate oafs clamoring all around for moderation in order to provide proper cover for the ongoing Bunko.

Now, as to Health and Ag Policy….never the twain shall meet.

avatar Russell Arben Fox September 16, 2009 at 9:30 am

I’d weigh in on the continuing conversation, but I’m not really sure what we’re talking about anymore. Plus, I’m busy reading my Lasch right now. As far as the racist thing goes, I will defer to wiser people than me (which would mean people with years more experience dealing with the language of black-white interactions than I) in making that judgment. Whether kindly, old, Georgia-born, undeservedly-slighted-yet-undeniably-somewhat-bonkers former President Jimmy Carter belongs in that camp, I can’t say. I will, however, go for as to admit that for me, it’s personally somewhat hard to conceive of the whole cockamamie birther nonsense going as far as it has if the accusation was that Obama’s real citizenship and alleganice was Scottish, rather than Kenyan.

avatar Bob Cheeks September 16, 2009 at 10:20 am

D.W.
You should read my ‘novel’ it’s about war-horror-things that go bump in the night and unpublished!
(knuckle dragging Scotch/Irish!)I was being serious, and not trying to bait hooks or anything else. I thought/think that it’d be a real nice conversation to have here at the FPR so as a big, big fan of FPR let me put out the request to one and all bloggers here to get off your duffs and write up something about the latest racial contretemps. Are ‘mob’ people racists when they criticize our Fearless Leader?
Arben, I think you’re well qualified to tackle the subject and considering your librul orientation you’d probably get tenure, assuming you don’t already have it. BTW, we’re just about together on J. Carter, though I think his drunken brother a bit smarter.
Also, if anybody wants to take on the ACORN thingy, what with them helping to set up a phantom underage whore house with part of the 8 billion they’ll be getting from the American taxypayers (thanks O!), I’m sure I’d enjoy that blog as well.
Or are we not permitted to speak of race here?

avatar Caleb Stegall September 16, 2009 at 2:17 pm
avatar D.W. Sabin September 16, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Herr Stegall,
Thanks for the link…a stirling summary for this nitwit hair trigger joint 30 years after Pryor’s best bits and “Sanford and Son” was on the Telly after “All In The Family”. But I was hoping for something that might dive fully into Quadroons, Octoroons, Quintroons, poltroons and , to be equal opportunity, The Grey Eyed Devil but in some dusky circles, that might be covered under poltroons.

avatar Bob Cheeks September 16, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Brother Stegal, Thanks for the link but my computer refuses to function properly re: First Things as per JOe Carter. Sometimes when I shake snake bones over the harddrive and say juju words I can get on but usually no. So thanks for the effort, much appreciated.

avatar rex September 22, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Wow, that was embarrassing. Nicely done Cheeks, every word you write digs a deeper hole/whole. No worries you saved me a bunch of time, I can just skip over your posts in the future.