Mere Karstianity

by Jason Peters on July 27, 2011 · 12 comments <span>Print this article</span> Print this article

Can you make this stuff up?

avatar love the girls July 27, 2011 at 6:12 am

No, I can’t. but I wish I could.

I especially liked this comment to the video :

A comment from the video : “I wish my husband would thank God for ME! This might not be the kind of prayer I might want to hear at a church service…but for NASCAR…ABSOLUTELY! :-D”

avatar Jeffrey Polet July 27, 2011 at 7:52 am

Yes, you can make it up. And it’s been done:

avatar Thomas G. July 27, 2011 at 7:57 am

I’m not sure, but I believe that “Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen” is taken from the Tridentine Latin Mass.

avatar love the girls July 27, 2011 at 11:06 am

It’s Darrell Waltrip latin for “Let’s go racing, boys!”

I read that Darrell Waltrip begins each race with it, so while it appears strange, it’s culturally authentic. And far more culturally authentic than what I often find at our Latin Mass parish.

avatar nancy July 27, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Guilty laughter. I never know quite what to do with it.

avatar John Médaille July 28, 2011 at 1:09 am

BEST…
PRODUCT…
PLACEMENT…
EVER…

avatar Robert July 28, 2011 at 7:09 am

To me, this seems but yet another attempt at redemption through “cheap grace.” But then what do I know?

avatar Vance Freeman July 29, 2011 at 7:14 am

Wow.

Doesn’t this prove Gerletner and McDougall’s American Civil Religion thesis?

avatar WhollyRoaminCatholic July 29, 2011 at 10:51 am

Those ICEL translations are a lot more slavish than I thought.

avatar Anymouse July 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm

“The difference is that me it would be pure fiction out of clear blue sky, where as for them, it’s a culturally fitting prayer of thanksgiving that I thought was nicely done.”
And if the culture is degenerate then we have no reason to admire it.

avatar love the girls July 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Anonymous writes : “And if the culture is degenerate then we have no reason to admire it.”

Well I suppose it depends on how one sees the world.

Some see degeneracy and people to sneer at with derision. Others see see consumerism and cheap grace tricks.

avatar Anymouse July 29, 2011 at 8:42 pm

“Where as I prefer to see mirth and enjoyment of life, and a knowing where and where not to take ones self too seriously.”
I don’t want to be humorless, but it is hard not to be. :)