Confederational American Political Thought in Seattle

by Peter Daniel Haworth on August 2, 2011 · 6 comments <span>Print this article</span> Print this article

Many readers will be interested in a short course and working group being conducted at the APSA Conference in Seattle (September 1-4) . These forums will address themes in Confederational Thought and their relation to American History. Presenters include Gregory Butler, Jeff Polet, Nathan Coleman, Sean Busick, Joseph Devaney, and myself. Registration is free, so just enroll here for the course and here for the group.

Confederational Thought is the body of theory addressing the concepts of union and/or the cooperation among sovereign political units. The working group will be an open seminar-discussion of relevant historical and philosophical themes. Whereas, the short course will address the specific topics listed below:

1: Background of Federalism: From Imperial Structure to Imperial Crisis, 1600-1765

2: Confederation to 10th Amendment, 1775-1791

3: State Sovereignty in the early federal republic,1789-1828

4: The Marshall Court, 1801-1835

5: From Crisis to Crisis: 1828-1850

6: The Civil War, Reconstruction, and the end of State Sovereignty?: 1850-1890

7: The Progressive Movement: 1890-1932

8: The New Deal and Liberal America, 1932-1980

9: Cold War and the National Security State, 1945-1990

10: Age of Reagan, the Federalism Revolution, and the War on Terror, 1981-2012

avatar John Médaille August 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Sounds like a great program; wish I could go.

avatar Peter Haworth August 2, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Thanks, John. I wish we could have your courageous and honest voice there, as well.

avatar Russell Arben Fox August 2, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Peter, do you know what time the working group will be meeting? I won’t make it to Seattle until Thursday evening, unfortunately, so I’ll miss the short course. But I will be there through Sunday morning, and while I have quite a few panels I want to check up on (plus a working group of my own to run), I’d love to find time for this.

avatar Peter Haworth August 2, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Russell, thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, the APSA has not yet assigned a time and place for our working group. I will try to post it here as a comment when they let us know. I hope to have the information soon. See you in Seattle.

avatar Russell Arben Fox August 3, 2011 at 7:23 am

Yes, APSA hasn’t officially assigned anything for my working group either–but I made a request of when to schedule it, because of some specific timing and travel issues, and I’ll assume they’ll be able to honor the request. Do let me know–by e-mail, maybe?–what gets worked out. I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to register for the group…

avatar robert m. peters March 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Both the working group and the short course are quite interesting to me. I am an associate of the Abbeville Institute. Several of the institutes scholars’ conferences and summer schools have dealt with the themes outlined for the short course. Hopefully, there will be some publications which come out of the course and the working group which can be shared with a wider audience.