Six Months

by Patrick J. Deneen on August 31, 2009 · 8 comments <span>Print this article</span> Print this article

We set up here on the porch six months ago today. Many words later, it’s still a nice place to relax and shoot the breeze.

To mark the occasion, a brief summary:

We’ve had 81,000 visitors making some 220,000 visits, looking at 627,000 pages.

385 posts have received 5,078 comments from 146 commenters. The most comments – without surprise – come from the great D.W. Sabin, with 429, followed by Mr. Cheeks with 307. The most posts have been penned by the yours truly – prolix as ever – with 56 (make that 57).

I invite newcomers to mark the occasion with a visit to my first post: A Republic of Front Porches. It still says as well as, if not better than, anything else I’ve written here the reasons for spending some time on the porch.

Here’s to another eventful six months…

avatar Caleb Stegall September 2, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Gee-willikers but ain’t that a fine front porch.

avatar Kent (MC) September 2, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I love this place and hope it continues to produce such stimulating ideas as I have witnessed over the last month since I found it!

avatar James Matthew Wilson September 2, 2009 at 7:09 pm

May we persist up to and not a jot longer than the moment when someone uses in all seriousness the phrase, “You’ve just been Porched!”

avatar Roger Bennett September 2, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Keep it up, please! Your message is so timely. I dropped a couple of fluffy sorta conservative blogs to make time for you because you expand my horizons.

avatar Weasly Pilgrim September 3, 2009 at 7:25 am

Has it only been six months? Seems more like a year, considering the heft and rigor of the majority of posts and many of the comments. Would that JMW’s “moment of cliché” is held off for as long as possible.

avatar Albert September 3, 2009 at 10:18 am

Cheers!

avatar D.W. Sabin September 3, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Or, shall we say, the “grating” D.W. Sabin? For my 430th official yawp, I would like to take this august moment and pay tribute to the discipline of Albert and his economy of words.

220,000 slams of the screen door…….a lovely noise.

avatar Cyrus September 4, 2009 at 8:31 am

I can’t remember when I first discovered FPR (sure seems like more than six months ago). As an “ancient mariner” (last 43 years spent driving ships up rivers and around the world) I first check the family blog to see whats new with my wife, 11 children and 11 grandchildren. Then I settle down here. Never disapoints. You have a unique mix here. Thanks