Hail to the Publican

by Jeremy Beer on March 24, 2010 · 8 comments <span>Print this article</span> Print this article

in Philosophers & Saints,Region & Place,Short

A friend sent me the other day two issues of a little journal called The Publican of Philadelphia. Since I am forever worried that the Porch’s ongoing what-to-do conversation gravitates a bit too inexorably toward strictly political/economic discussions, I’d like to credit the Publican and its founding editor, Matthew Chominski, for answering the what-to-do question in a particularly honorable way: by starting a local periodical.

Warning to Caleb and Darryl: the Publican is Catholic. It also consciously draws on local writers like our own Villanova-based James Wilson for content.  John Médaille ain’t local to Philadelphia, but he is in the Publican‘s pages, and at least he’s a localist.  The driving philosophy of the Publican is very porchy, distributist, crunchy, and certainly orthodox. If you’re inclined toward things papist and/or Philadelphian, check it out.

Imitators in other regions welcomed. Even Protestant ones.

avatar John Médaille March 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I like the idea of a guy named “Beer” praising the Publican.

avatar Caleb Stegall March 24, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Hey! I love Catholics! Where else are poor protestants supposed to find good churchy conversation over beer? I even founded, edited, and published a Catholic journal of my own a while back …

And I note that the Publican features a video of the excellent protestant Roger Scruton on its front page!

Who said ecumenicism is dead?

“I believe in papal infallibility, and as such I am very glad to be a protestant!” – Eric Voegelin

avatar Jeffrey Polet March 24, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I like the reality of a guy named “Beer.”

avatar ken mcintyre March 24, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I thought that you were going to suggest that the best thing that each of us could do would be to start a public house in our towns, villages, and megalopolitan areas. That would certainly be a career change worth considering in my case.

avatar Brian Lester March 24, 2010 at 5:23 pm

It can be a little easier to get to the actual content of the present issue and a couple from the archives from the main Publican site:

Glad to see the Publican mentioned. I think its the only publication where I’ve shared a meal with more than one of the contributors; another nice benefit to a local journal.

avatar Will O March 24, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I saw these being handed out at the Blond lecture at Villanova but didn’t get one. Any chance they’ll be at the Peters lecture tomorrow?

avatar Matthew Chominski March 25, 2010 at 10:52 am

Many thanks, Mr. Beer, for the kind words regarding The Publican.

Like Brian mentioned, a better sense of the publication comes from visiting the site: http://www.thepubofphilly.com.

An even better sense of the publication comes from subscribing though, which can be done through a form on this page: http://www.thepubofphilly.com/Subscriptions.html

Regarding Will’s question, I won’t be making it to the Peters lecture this evening. But please do send along your address by way of the above mentioned web-form.

avatar Boz March 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm

oh, man. why do I need to read a website that praises the pabulum of Joe Pearce?! I was hoping he had disappeared for a while after his public spanking in First Things.